Massage therapy is used to provide pain relief, repair muscles after strenuous activity, and promote overall relaxation. Targeted massage can be used to relieve muscular tension and improve circulation, in addition to increasing range of movement for those suffering from an injury or feeling stressed.
Learn how massage therapy can improve health and wellness, along with the different types of massage, and the benefits that massage can offer–whether you are recovering from an injury or just need to relax. Get a massage from a licensed massage therapist with the training, knowledge, and experience to help you feel better and improve your health.
Top Benefits of Massage Therapy
There are many benefits to receiving a specialized massage, from mental health benefits to physical relaxation and muscle recovery.
- Recovery–If an injury or chronic muscle tightness is limiting you from reaching your full potential, then it might be time for one of our customized massages to get you back to 100%. Massage aids in increased recovery time and natural muscle healing.
- Performance–Increase your physical abilities and performance, regardless of whether you are active or not. You need stretched and relaxed muscles to perform athletic endeavors or to simply feel great in performing daily tasks.
- Feel Good–Our massage therapists have an end goal: to help you feel more relaxed and pain-free no matter what type of massage you select. Massages are a great mood enhancer and promote the release of serotonin, a hormone that is responsible for making you feel good.
- Stay Healthy–Maintain your health through massage. We offer a variety of different massages and even massage memberships to help feel your best. Reduce stress levels and come in for regular massages to ensure you stay in good health.
Here are some of the ways how massage therapy can improve health and wellness:
- Improve Range of Motion
- Release Tension
- Improve Mood
- Target Tight Muscles or Tender Spots
- Improve Athletic Performance or Daily Living
- Decrease Need for Pain Medication
- Sleep Better
- Accelerate Recovery
- Promote Relaxation
If you are not sure which massage therapy is best for you, our licensed massage therapists can talk about your pain, goals, and health to determine the best course of treatment and create a customized massage that incorporates techniques to treat your concerns.
Sports massage helps condition and repair muscles, improving overall physical performance.
Our sports massage is geared towards improving sports and athletic performance. It helps to condition and repair the muscles of athletes of all skill levels, allowing for faster muscle repair and increased strength.
Sports Massage is geared towards enhancing sports and athletic performance by facilitating muscle repair after an intense workout session, injury, or prior to engaging in activity. Sports massages help to condition the muscles of athletes of all skill levels, not just the pros.
Athletes of any sport or ability level can utilize this massage to prepare their muscles prior to sporting events, as well as, to help their bodies to recover after particularly strenuous training and athletic performances. The main goal of a sports massage is to help keep the athlete pain & injury free before, during and after an athletic event or training session.
Sports & Fitness Benefits:
- Increases energy
- Reduces chronic/acute pain
- Reduces muscle tension
- Improved flexibility
- Improved muscle coordination
Medical Massage targets a specific injury or issue to provide pain relief and repair.
The goal of this massage is to decrease pain and stress caused by overuse, improper function, or injuries to the body. Each medical massage treatment plan is tailored to an individual’s health needs and goals.
A medical massage can be incorporated into your physical therapy or rehabilitation treatment, in addition to one-off massages to help your body heal naturally and recovery faster. Many times, a medical massage will incorporate other aspects of healthcare, such as chiropractic techniques or physical therapy.
People tend to choose medical massages when they suffer from back pain, leg pain, or other specific area pain or have a chronic condition that causes discomfort. Medical massage is especially effective as a treatment for low back pain and can also prove effective at helping patients combat chronic pain.
Health & Wellness Benefits:
- Increase blood circulation
- Reduces bodily tension
- Improve joint range of motion
- Helps eliminate toxins
- Decrease of adhesions & scar tissue
Relaxation Massage uses gentle, flowing movements to relax the entire body. This type of massage is what most people think of when they refer to massages. In addition to physical benefits, relaxation and relieving stress is one of the best examples of how massage therapy can improve health and wellness. When people feel calmer and more in-tune with their bodies, they tend to treat themselves better and experience a more positive outlook and attitude.
A relaxation massage, as the name suggests, is meant to relax the client by using a smooth, gentle, and flowing style to promote a calming state. This type of massage also relieves muscular tension, improves circulation, and increases range of movement. Many massage therapists will include hot stones and other add-ons for relaxation massages.
Relaxation massage is extremely popular because it promotes emotional and physical calmness. The goal of a relaxation massage is to relax the entire body as opposed to focusing on only a specific area, however, a massage therapist can easily tailor the massage to you and your needs.
Mind, Mood & Body Benefits:
- Increased sense of well being
- Increase endorphin levels
- Promotes better sleep quality
- Promotes relaxation
This type of massage is quite popular because it promotes emotional and physical calmness and allows the pregnant mother to enjoy a massage while ensuring the safety and health of the baby.
Many pregnant mothers experience varying degrees of discomfort during their pregnancies due to weight gain, the baby’s position, and general change in their bodies, any women benefit immensely from prenatal massages.
Prenatal massages can be especially beneficial during a woman’s second and third trimesters of pregnancy, since that is when she is usually the most uncomfortable and in need of relief. Ensuring prenatal comfort and reducing stress during pregnancy is just one of the ways how massage therapy can improve health and wellness.
In fact, research has shown that massage therapy provides benefits for pregnant women that can help decrease stress and discomfort, relieve persistent muscle aches, decrease joint pain, and improve labor outcomes and overall newborn health.
Studies have shown that prenatal massage helps reduce stress hormones, such as cortisol and norepinephrine, and improves overall relaxation and health, including decreased depression, anxiety, and leg and back pain.
Massage therapy can also prove beneficial to the child as well, both pre-natal and post-natal since massage therapy resulted in decreased excessive fetal activity and a lowered rate of fetal prematurity.
Prenatal massages may differ a bit from a standard massage and include:
- Special pillows or massage tables
- Maximized comfort and taking pressure off the lower back
- Techniques to help with swelling and back pain
We use two cordless state-of-the-art vibration massage devices to relax sore and stiff muscles to improve mobility. These devices help you to improve range of motion, promote circulation, and break up tight muscles and knots. Vibration technology, especially when combined with massage or heat, allows for better moving musculature which ensures better joint, tendon, and ligament function.
Vibration massage devices have the added benefit of using several interchangeable attachments during the massage to ensure the appropriate level of pressure.
Vibration massage is great for:
- Reducing scar tissue
- Preventing scar tissue formation
- Moving pain-free
- Increasing mobility and flexibility
Vibration massage is especially helpful for individuals who have recently suffered from an injury or have recently has surgery and want to improve mobility to move naturally. Each person that experiences a vibration massage walks out the door feeling better and more relaxed.
It is easy to select a preset massage that a massage therapist or wellness center offers or to request a personalized massage based on your body’s needs.
Many people think that a personalized massage is something out of the ordinary, but many people customized massages without ever realizing when they comment on the amount of pressure, techniques used, or share the problem areas that they are concerned about.
The main goal of a personalized massage is to help keep the body pain and injury free and treat whatever concern you have. This type of massage usually targets one or more areas of the body that requires massaging or soothing.
You can request differing levels of pressure on different areas of the body, ask for additional massage techniques, applied heat, and more to ensure the massage meets your unique needs.
Get a personalized massage to discover how massage therapy can improve health and wellness, especially when tailored to your body’s unique needs.
Health & Wellness Benefits:
- Customized pressure
- Targeted massage areas
- Add-on massage techniques
- Cupping–This is an alternative massage technique that uses small suction cups to increase blood flow and circulation to promote faster healing and recovery time.
- Graston– The Graston Technique is a form of manual therapy known as soft-tissue instrument-assisted mobilization. It is one of several manual therapy approaches that uses instruments with a specialized form of massage/scraping the skin gently.
- Stretching– Assisted stretching is when a massage therapist manually stretches specific muscles or muscle groups to keep your muscles supple and aid on a deeper massage. Stretch massage alleviates strain on your joints and has a slew of other benefits.
- Deep Tissue– This massage technique focuses on realigning deeper layers of muscles and connective tissue. It is especially helpful for chronic aches and pains and contracted areas such as the neck and back.
- Trigger Point Therapy– This technique refers to the treatment of myofascial trigger points that are found in muscles and fascia. Myofascial trigger points are painful, tense areas that are found in muscles, often referred to as “knots.”
- Myofascial Release– This hands-on massage and chiropractic technique involves applying gentle sustained pressure into the Myofascial connective tissue to eliminate pain and restore motion.
Book A Massage Today
At Elite Wellness, health and wellness is our number one priority. We offer an interactive environment geared towards athletes and anyone looking to improve their quality of living. Our team has an extensive background in sports, fitness, and nutrition.
See a licensed massage therapist for a medical massage, sports massage, or relaxation massage to help you relieve tension and pain.
Choose between 30, 60, 90, 120-minute sessions, with a male or female massage therapist to ensure your comfort. Customize your massage to your needs and start feeling better. Book a massage online now!